Friday, May 9, 2008

New Snake!

Today I decided to try a new location other than my usual trip to Banner and it paid off! I found a spot where some debris had been dumped near a bike trail, so I decided to do some flipping. What I found was four Ring Neck Snakes. These guys were really cool. I haven't caught a Ringneck in Iowa yet (I had caught Ringnecks down in Florida as a boy though) so this was pretty cool. Here's the shots of the snakes...


Here's the worst holding container on planet earth (a lemonade glass!) but it's all I had. They were very cool-looking little creatures.

Here's the underside view of the four ringnecks. They were all very wiry and worked up. I wanted to try to get a few good shots. Most of them blurred up on me. But this wasn't too bad. You can see the color patter on their bellies ranging from a banana yellow to an almost apple red.

This one was beautiful. He had recently shed. Two of them were in opaque phase and their eyes had greyed over which means they are going to shed soon. But this guy was alert and stayed still long enough for me to get a good shot of him.

All in all, ring neck snakes are very cool. They also don't get much bigger than what you see here...maybe eight inches in length.

1 comment:

amy smith said...

hey guys! i live in muscatine, and just took some cool pictures of a brown snake! would love to send them to you... you can get my e-mail from my blog!